Tuesday, June 27, 2017

In Good Hands

As a medevac pilot, my job is to transport people who are seriously ill or in distress to desperately needed medical care. Once we drop off our patients, I can only hope that I am entrusting their care to people who have the resources, expertise and compassion to help them heal.
In reality, you never quite know what you will encounter when you step into a hospital across the world. The emotions of the people waiting to hear about their loved ones, the tired but usually dedicated hospital staff, and the tense but unspoken stress of the unknown fills most waiting rooms. Most patients that we bring to the main hospital in Belize City are not from the city, but from remote communities. They are worried, scared and unfamiliar with their surroundings – which is why I like to check up on them after they safely arrive and have received proper treatment.
                One of my favorite places is Karl Hausner Memorial Hospital in Belize City. Every time I step into the lobby, I immediately notice the cleanliness of the facilities, the professionalism and dedication of the staff, and the genuine respect and care shown to patients. I have entered countless hospitals across Africa and Central America, and this definitely ranks among the best. A recent visit was no different. As I greeted the ladies at the security desk and gave them the names of the three patients I flew that day, one remarked, “Wow, busy day,” with a friendly smile. The rapport I have with the hospital staff not only makes my job more enjoyable, it assures me that they are personally looking out for our patients. 
The first patient I see is a 6-month-old girl with pneumonia that I flew from San Pedro. In the neonatal ICU, I find the mother holding the little girl and administering a vaporizing treatment. She happily tells me that her child is already recovering, and the doctors think the visit will last only a few days.
Next on my list is a young boy from Punta Gorda, whose leg was broken in three different places when he got hit by a taxi. I don’t have to look far before I see the boy and his parents anxiously waiting in the room outside the ICU. The boy is already prepped for surgery and, after a few minutes of chatting, they are whisked away to accompany the boy to the surgical theatre. 
My last stop is to see a young lady from Dangriga who was in premature labor. Outside the maternity ward, I encounter her parents. They excitedly tell me that their first grandchild was born healthy and without complications, and their daughter is resting comfortably. The new grandfather pulls out his flip phone and enthusiastically shows me a grainy photo of his first grandchild. After some quick congratulations, I make my way outside the hospital. I purposefully pass by one of the nurses’ stations to wish them a happy nurses’ week and tell one of them that all three of the patients I brought them today are doing well and receiving proper care. She smiles and says, “TJ, that’s our job.”

These words express a pride and ownership in treating patients that is extremely comforting to me. I know that my efforts to help these patients can only be as successful as the care and treatment they receive once they are delivered to the hospital. And, at least at this hospital, I know our patients are in very good hands. 

1 comment:

  1. AS Pat said, compassionate in service, and gifted as a writer. God bless you, TJ! THANK you!

    ReplyDelete